Forthcoming and Recent BLMK Masterclasses
Liberating Structures Immersion Workshop – Zoe Lord 6 February 2020
Would you like to learn new interactive, fun methods of collaborating with others?
Liberating Structures are powerful ways of involving, engaging and unleashing everyone to contribute ideas and shape the future. They are tools and techniques that help people connect, work together collaboratively, think differently, strategise, analyse, problem solve, plan and rapidly spread ideas.
There are 33 different structures and many more in development, so there is something for almost any context or occasion!
During this lively interactive session you will find that they are deliberately simple, anyone can lead them, and they will spread virally in an organisation or group.
The immersion workshop will be led by Zoe Lord of the NHS Horizons team. She is a Liberating Structures practitioner and has used them in support of better outcomes with patients, families, and healthcare professionals.
- Learn how to liberate and unleash the energy of groups of people to shape the future in powerful ways
- Structure your change and improvement efforts around simple rules that can be used by everyone
- Stimulate creativity, inclusion, participation, clarity, purpose and fun
- Ensure that every person has at least one Liberating Structure that they want to start using immediately.
Details of how to book will follow.
Leading Change in Complex Systems – Paul Plsek 6 November 2018
Masterclass to hear Paul Plsek, the internationally acclaimed expert in transformational leadership, share his expertise on:
- Understanding complex adaptive systems
- The futility of detailed plans
- How complex outcomes can emerge from simple rules and interaction
- The role of tension and “destruction” in transformation and renewal
- How transformational change really happens: Principles and models
- An introduction to practical tools for leaders of change in complex systems
- Creating a meaningful vision of desired change
- Capturing a “good enough plan” in a driver diagram
- Pattern mapping across a system to enable sustainable partnership working
Slides from the event are available on the right.
New Models of Care Masterclass 4 October 2018
A masterclass for clinical and managerial staff working across our 15 health and social care partners to jointly explore what we can learn from emerging new models of care and how we can apply this to our local integrated system development. Hear about local approaches for supporting our Primary Care Home Model and how working with national partners within NHS England and the National Association of Primary Care helps us to deliver sustainable change. Applicable to all staff commissioning or providing health and social care who are influencing and leading service and system transformation. New Models of Care Event October 2018 Agenda Final
- Sessions with NHS England’s Systems Transformation Group and the National Association of Primary Care
- Facilitated breakouts covering the challenges and opportunities arising from development and implementation of New Models of Care.
Foundations of Quality Improvement Workshop 11 September
Working in partnership Eastern AHSN and the East of England Leadership Academy, Health Education England are delivering a free one day ‘Foundations of Quality Improvement Workshop’ for staff working within the BLMK ICS at The Rufus Center, Flitwick, Bedfordshire.
This workshop is open to all BLMK ICS health and social care clinical and managerial staff who are mid-level leaders and ideally 2 or 3 from the same team who are working together on a quality improvement initiative to apply their learning. The workshop will explain the science behind QI theory and will help you to develop your practical skills. Topics covered on the day include: Course content:
• The current health care context
• Improvement methodologies
• The Model for Improvement
• How to run PDSA testing cycles
• Tools, techniques and driver diagrams
• Measurement for improvement
BLMK Foundations of Quality Improvement – March 2018
The Eastern Academic Health Science Network provided a session for BLMK health and social care clinical and managerial staff to learn practical skills for improving quality. The course included: How to apply improvement science, Improvement methods and how to apply them, and How to use the LIFE QI Platform to start and manage projects. See separate flyer to the right.
Participants feedback was positive and all said their work will be influenced by the session. Asked what was the most useful aspects attendees commented:
“Group work, differing views and ideas, driver diagrams and process mapping”
“practical sessions, developing aims etc. planning process”
“the methodology and approach to QI and better planning process”
Improvement Fundamentals introduction to Quality Improvement
NHS England have devised a new programme of online courses for those involved in health and social care and looking for free online Quality Improvement training.
- Working in, or with, health or social care?
- Enthusiastic about make things work better in your local service?
- Keen to put your improvement ideas into practice, but not sure how?
- Eager to hear from colleagues across the country with the same concerns?
- Looking for free, bite-sized Quality Improvement training that you can access at your desk or on the go?
Compassionate Collaborative Leadership – March 2018
Professor Michael West, head of Thought Leadership at the Kings Funds, presented at an event for BLMK leaders. The session offered up research evidence and practical guidance necessary to help leaders ensure that compassion, high quality care and innovation are at the heart of our health care cultures. Michael West described the link between good staff experience and patient outcomes as well as other key cultural elements associated with good performance in health care: vision and values; goals and performance; support and compassion; learning and innovation; and team work and collaboration within and across organisational boundaries. Slides from the event are available on the right.
The following video Leadership in today’s NHS by Michael West, describes his views on healthcare leadership in the NHS and the measures that need to be in place to have effective health care teams.