Care training directory
NICE Guidance: Pressure ulcers: prevention and management
All learning groups
- Healthcare professionals
- People who are at elevated risk of developing pressure ulcers, such as those who have significantly limited mobility
- It applies to all settings, including hospitals, care homes (with and without nursing care) and people’s own homes.
This guideline covers assessing, risk assessment, prevention and treatment in children, young people and adults at risk of, or who have, a pressure ulcer (also known as a bedsore or pressure sore). It aims to reduce the number of pressure ulcers in people admitted to secondary or tertiary care or receiving NHS care in other settings, such as primary and community care and emergency departments.
There is a NICE interactive flow chart to download.
This guideline includes recommendations on:
- risk assessment and prevention in adults
- care planning and patient and carer information for prevention in people of all ages
- ulcer management in adults
This guidance was reviewed in 2018 – there is no new evidence that affects the recommendations in this guideline.
The quality standard of this guidance as been endorsed by NHS England.