Care training directory
The Oliver McGowan Mandatory Training on Learning Disability and Autism
Intended audience groups: All
Tier 1 of The Oliver McGowan Mandatory Training on Learning Disability and Autism is for people who require general awareness of the support autistic people or people with a learning disability may need.
Tier 2 of The Oliver McGowan Mandatory Training on Learning Disability and Autism is for people who may need to provide care and support for autistic people or people with a learning disability.
The Oliver McGowan Mandatory Training on Learning Disability and Autism has been co-produced, trialled, independently evaluated and will be co-delivered by trainers with lived experience of learning disability and autism.
An eLearning package is the first part of both Tier 1 and Tier 2 of the Oliver McGowan Mandatory Training, and these are now live. The online interactive sessions and face to face training are being rolled ut and information is below under “Training Delivered By”
The Oliver McGowan Mandatory Training on Learning Disability and Autism is the government’s preferred and recommended training for health and social care staff and it is delivered in 2 separate tiers.
Both tiers compromise 2 parts and the training is standardised and is:
– everyone must complete the elearning, and is Part 1 of both Tier 1 and Tier 2. The content of the elearning session is mapped to the Tier 1 learning outcomes of the Core Capabilities Framework for Supporting Autistic People and the Core Capabilities Framework for Supporting People with a Learning Disability. It should take you one hour and 30 minutes to complete.
This elearning session covers:
- Section 1 – Introduction
- Section 2 – Understanding learning disability
- Section 3 – Understanding autism
- Section 4 – Communication
- Section 5 – Reasonable adjustments
- Section 6 – Summary
There is pre and post evaluations that need to be completed and a handbook is provided which can be downloaded. It is expected that learners will read this before completing the elearning session.
-Tier 1 interactive session is virtual for 1 hour
-Tier 2 interactive session is face to face for 1 day
Note: Trainers and experts with lived experience will be trained before they can deliver the standardised interactive training packages. The trainer’s training is underway. As the number of trainers increases, so will capacity to deliver the interactive online sessions and face to face delivery.