Care training directory
Working with & Supporting People with Dementia
All levels of front line staff (registered and non registered) and practitioners working directly with Adults who live with dementia.
To develop practical approaches that help to create a dementia-friendly environment, improving wellbeing and reducing stress for the person with dementia.
By the end of the session delegates will be able to:
• analyse the impact of the physical environment and describe ways in which the environment can be made more supportive
• explain how the approach of other people impact on the person with dementia and contributes to positive/negative outcomes
• review different approaches that can be less stressful for people who have dementia
• compare reality orientation and validation approaches, and describe how they can be used effectively at different stages of dementia
• use life history & reminiscence as a tool to develop person centred care plans, promote interaction and help maintain identity
• explain factors that contribute to distress & difficult to understand behaviour
• demonstrate a problem solving approach that avoids inappropriate use of anti-psychotic medication.