Care training directory
Shared Decision Making Programme: Communicating harm and benefits for Plastic Surgery
Intended audience group 2
This version of the course is part of the overall Shared Decision Making Programme. There are four sessions designed to help clinicians from this specialty develop skills for communicating effectively with patients about the risks and benefits of treatment options.
By the end of each course, participants will be able to:
- describe why it is important for clinicians to effectively communicate benefits, harms,
trade-offs and uncertainties with patients
- explain the inter-relationship between shared decision making, evidence-based medicine
and patient-centred care in the context of communicating benefits and benefits of treatment options.
- list key communication skills needed when talking with patients about evidence
- explain how to effectively communicate statistical information to patients
- outline the role of decision support tools, potential uses and where to locate them