Operational and Management Roles
This page includes support and development offers and online resources relevant for Practice Managers and PCN Managers.
Core Skills for Practice, PCN Managers and their Teams:
NHS England have developed two free training sessions to support Practice, Primary Care Network (PCN) Managers and their teams. This training will equip managers and their teams with the tools, resources and knowledge to become effective leaders and to develop strong resilience to thrive in their roles. Book here.
For more information, please see the flyers below:
IGPM (Institute of General Practice Management) Accreditation Member Status Accreditation Framework
The accreditation process requires the Practice Manager to evidence their knowledge and skill against a set framework which will then be assessed by the IGPM. Download the IGPM-Accreditation-Framework-FINAL
NHS Leadership Academy
The NHS Leadership Academy offers several programmes to support the development of people in managerial and leadership roles, including:
- Leadership Programmes and apprenticeships
- Career Development support: Coaching and mentoring programmes for different levels of leadership and Regional Talent Boards to identify and support people to be the leaders of tomorrow.
- Learning Hub including Project M, is a space for team leaders to connect, share and learn together. Plus bitesize learning, the Executive Suite and the Inspiration Library
PMA Academy Apprenticeships
The Practice Managers’ Association offers a range of Apprenticeship-standard programmes for anyone in a primary care management role. The PMA also offers support for practices to recruit apprentices.
PMA Apprenticeships are 95% government funded, with a 5% employee co-investment.
Higher Development Award
This course is delivered through West Suffolk College and is free to attend. It is a virtual course which will help you develop a range of skills, including:
- Personal Development
- Coaching and Mentoring
- Customer Service
- Solving Problems
- Develop Working relationships
In addition to the 1 day per month study day, you will have access to online tutor led Maths and English workshops as well as a variety of online resources and workbooks to help self-study during the course.
- A dedicated tutor will also be on hand to guide you through to successfully completing your qualifications, which will include:
- Level 2 Certificate in Team Leading
- Level 2 Functional Skills Maths
- Level 2 Functional Skills English
NHS England page of events, training and masterclasses. Includes several relevant to primary care
Online Learning, Resources and Support Networks
Management and Leadership Skills on Elearning for Healthcare. An online toolkit to support the development of multi-professional health and social care leaders and managers.
NHS England Primary Care Networks Resources and Support including contacts, collaboration, case studies, podcasts. Includes PCN and Practices Support Hub on NHS Futures.
NAPC Primary Care Network Support. Online resources for PCN Support including developing teams and leadership capabilities.
IGPM Practice Management Webinars and Toolkits. Institute of General Practice Management free to access webinars and toolkits e.g. Gender Identity Toolkit.
BMA Advice and Support for GP Practices A suite of information for GP partners, practice managers and doctors to use to ensure your practice is compliant and delivering the best patient care.
Peer Support Networks
- NAPC Practice Management Network
- The GP Practice Managers Forum
- ICHSM Practice Managers’ Specialist Interest Group. Events, courses and masterclasses run by Institute of Health and Social Care Management.
- Training Practice Support Network. Peer support network for Practice Managers working towards training practice status
- PCN and Practices Support Hub on NHS Futures. Tools, resources and online discussion forum.
Health and Wellbeing
Knowledge and Library Resources
You have access to ebooks and journals to support your work and development. These are examples of ebooks from Kortext: